Geographically, Viikki is located right in the centre of Helsinki about 8 km away from the city centre. The centre of goings-on in the area is Viikki Science Park.
Kivikko is a residential area very near completion located between Kontula in the east and a large outdoor recreation and exercise area in the west.
Viikki in a nutshell
- Area: 1,400 ha
- Distance to the city centre: about 8 kilometres
- Construction will last: until the mid-2010s
- Number of residents: once completed 16,000
- Students: 7,000
- Jobs: once completed 6,000
Kivikko in a nutshell
- Area: 285 ha
- Number of residents: completed 5,700
- Jobs: currently 2,500